Hot Water Heater Leaking Maintenance
When your water-heating unit is leaking, repairs can be difficult to do on your own. If the necessary repairs are beyond your skill level, please give Rapid-Rooter a call before attempting to repair them yourself. Below is a step-by-step guide to a routine heating system service that should be completed every 6-12 months.
Before We Begin… Safety First!Before starting any work on your hot water heater, these safety measures should be taken to avoid damage to the unit or even yourself:
- Turn off the circuit breaker to the unit
- Turn off all connected water valves
- Ensure the gas line is completely turned off
- Relieve tank pressure (attach a hose to the drainage valve to avoid any messes)
- Limit contact with the unit until it has cooled to avoid burns
System FlushBuildup of dirt, pressure, and other things can spring leaks in the unit structure. To avoid leaks, perform a system flush every 6-12 months.
- Locate the drainage valve (bottom of unit)
- Attach a hose
- Run the hose to a nearby sink for drainage
- Turn the drainage valve on
- Allow all hot water to drain properly
- Continue draining even as cold water fills the unit
- Turn off drainage valve